Sunday, February 24, 2008

Live Blogging: 80th Annual Academy Awards [Hour 4]

Harrison Ford is up to present Best Original Screenplay. Noms: Juno, Lars and the Real Girl, Michael Clayton, Ratatouille, The Savages. My pick: Juno. The winner: Juno!!! Yay! The screenwriter, Diablo Cody, looks a little like a weirdo, uh, I mean, free spirit, but she is talented to pull off the script that she did.

-----

Helen Mirren is up to present Best Actor. Is it just me or is Helen Mirren kind of hot for an old chick. I'm pretty sure I said the same thing last year. I loved the fact that after winning an Oscar, she didn't mind being in National Treasure 2. Noms: George Clooney (he was very good in Michael Clayton, the best part of the movie); Daniel Day-Lewis (for There Will Be Blood, my personal pick and sure winner); Johnny Depp for Sweeney Todd (ugh, I'm not a Johnny Depp fan); Tommy Lee Jones (for the Valley of Elah; I didn't see that one, but he was really good in No Country for Old Men); Viggo Mortensen (for Eastern Promises). And the winner: Daniel Day-Lewis. No big surprise. Wow, his voice is very difference in real life. Just makes the performance that much more powerful.

-----

Best Director. Presented by Martin Scorsese. Noms: Diving Bell & Butterfly, Juno, Michael Clayton, No Country for Old Men, and There Will Be Blood. The Coen brothers win for No Country for Old Men.

Best Picture. Presented by Denzel Washington. Noms: Atonement (my 5th choice), Juno (my 1st choice), Michael Clayton (my 4th choice), No Country for Old Men (my 3rd choice), There Will Be Blood (my 2nd choice). No Country for Old Men wins. Hmmm. I would say, "It was good, but I don't think it was quite *that* good," because frankly, I felt that way about all the entries this year. I think this was just an "off" year. As a normal, everyday, mainstream movie-goer, Waitress and Ocean's 13 tied as my favorite movies of 2007. I also really respect Juno, Charlie Wilson's War, and The Bucket List. So what do I know.

All in all, a boring, uneventful Oscars ceremony. Nothing wrong with it, just not exciting either. We need another Lord of the Rings movie. ;)

No comments: