Thursday, February 22, 2007

Finally Getting Impatient with Lost: When Are We Going to Get Some Answers?

Throughout the 2nd season, I continued to give Lost the benefit of the doubt that we would eventually begin to get answers in interesting ways and at a faster pace, if we were just patient.


However, after last night's episode, Starnger in a Strange Land, I'm quite a bit closer to the getting-impatient camp. Once again, we see no 815ers except Jack, Kate, and Sawyer. I'm getting a bit tired of Kate, I've never liked Sawyer, and Jack gets too much screen time as it is. All his flashback told us was how & where (but not necessarily when) he got his tattoo, and even that didn't make total sense.

Why were the Thai locals shunning Jack just for getting a tattoo? Maybe the reasoning was explained and I just missed it, I don't know. Near the end of the episode, I started to lose interest and almost went to sleep.

Granted, we've come a long way from thinking the Others were ragged, ruthless savages who killed people they abducted. However, we're still not much closer to learning why they abducted people, what they want with those people, what their "lifestyle" or work is all about, why they brainwash people, or how they justify their bizarre, cryptic, deceptive, and often violent actions.

In their official Lost podcast, executive producers Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof continue to empathize with viewers' frustrations and guarantee that answers are coming. I still get the feeling of being strung along by them. Granted, I wouldn't want every mystery explained in one or two episodes or the show would be over already. But the revelation-to-mystery ratio continues to be frustratingly low.

We're not quite at the half-way point of the season, so I'll still be patient a little while longer, but not by much.

No comments: